Sunday, April 12, 2009

I didn't get to do much this weekend, as I've been sick. Mostly just resting and cleaning my apartment (it's actually presentable now! Yay!). But last weekend I took the train to Gangneung, a city on the shores of the Sea of Japan, or as it is known in South Korea, the East Sea. The train ride is 3 1/2 hours long but oh, so scenic; the train ride itself was an adventure, a joy, as opposed to something you just try to get through. I took some shots out the window:

Picture 078

Picture 081

Picture 112


I was in Gangneung partially for the Cherry Blossom Festival, and partially to visit a friend of mine, Carolyn, who I met at Orientation. The cherry blossoms, while not yet fully in blossom, were nonetheless breathtaking.

Picture 120

Picture 121


There was one road we walked around, it's quite famous, both sides are lined with cherry trees. Apparently people come from all over to see that street, and I was no different.

As well as seeing the cherry blossoms, there were plenty of other festivities. Plus, of course, there was a beach. It was only about 60 degrees Fahrenheit, so we didn't get into the sea deeper than our ankles (and even that was so cold that it made my feet ache!). Still, relaxing on the beach with friends was a welcome chance from isolated, mountainous Yeongwol.

Then we went out clubbing-- Western alcohol! Rum and coke! Vodka and cranberry! You have no idea what this means to me. Soju, the liquor of choice in Korea, is vile. Disgusting. But it's the only thing available in Yeongwol. That, and bad beer, and if you go to the supermarket, inexplicably, 15 different kinds of Scotch. (However, you can't get the scotch at the bar.) Meeting people from Western countries whom I don't know is getting to be quite a thrill for me. In Yeongwol, if I see a Westerner I know him or her. Period. So meeting some new native English speakers was quite nice.

We also got to see a few Korean pop concerts, which was an adventure in itself. If I tell you about that, though, it would merit its own blog post. Well, we'll see. :)