Thursday, May 14, 2009

The RTW Bug...

...has bitten me. Hard.

MyPassport 3
(Yes, that is my real passport. Yes, the white spots are mold. I spent monsoon season in Thailand in 2006, give me a break!)


I mean, I've been planning to do an RTW for a long time. Ever since I did my backpacking trip through Europe almost 4 years ago. But at this point, I'd been thinking it would happen years in the future; I have to finish my time in Korea first, and then there would be 2 years in Peace Corps. I was thinking that maybe, instead of going all around the world in a year or two, I could circumnavigate the globe in more like 7 or 8 years, taking teaching jobs for a year in different countries on different continents.

This still isn't a bad idea, but... once Kat and I started talking about it, I really want to do the full, backpack-on-my-back, sleeping in hostels or couchsurfing (or in train stations), each-week-in-a-different-city Round the World Trip.

If my dreams come true and Peace Corps medically clears me next month, then it will be almost three years before I can seriously consider this trip.

I don't want it just to be something I yearn for my whole life... I want it to happen.

I'm putting it down in my Life Plan. In ink, not pencil.

Winter 2009-Winter 2010: Teaching in Korea
Winter/Spring 2010-Spring 2012: Peace Corps
Spring 2012: Begin RTW!

Sound good, Kat?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The RTW world trip would be one the best things you could ever do. It seems like your life does not conforming to norms already (this is good) so a round the world trip seems like something you absolutely should be doing.