Thursday, July 23, 2009

Jambo!

That (the title) means "Hello" in Swahili!

I've officially accepted my Peace Corps invitation! My place in the Tanzania Secondary Education program has been confirmed! Squee!

As you can see, I've changed the layout and format of my blog, and added a picture of Mt Kilimanjaro! Yes, Mount Kilimanjaro is located in Tanzania, to the north! Know what else is in Tanzania? The Serengeti (well, northwestern Tanzania and southwestern Kenya). You know, what's probably the best-known wildlife sanctuary in the world? Where The Lion King took place? (Though it's pretty dangerous to visit, and not just because of the lions and such, but rather because of the tsetse fly. God, I am going to be neurotically terrified that I have African Sleeping Sickness while I'm in Tanzania, I'm sure of it.)

Also, Zanzibar is in Tanzania! In fact, did you know that Tanzania didn't used to be called Tanzania? It was called Tanganyika until it merged with Zanzibar in 1964 and combined the two names to get Tanzania. My mom is sillily (I'm pretending that's a word, deal with it) excited that she'll get to "stand on Zanzibar" (also the title of a favorite book of hers) when she comes to visit me.

Plus, Jane Goodall's chimp research all happened in Tanzania, as well! Very few of you knew me when I was very young, but I used to be obsessed with chimpanzees, after a read a Zoobooks magazine about them. So this piece of information is also exciting to me.

In summation, Tanzania sounds a bit like Quintessential Africa, at least while I'm viewing it from afar. Who knows what it'll be like up close, but I can't wait to find out!

There have been some complications with my documentation, mostly because I'm living in a small town in a foreign country right now, far away from the embassy, and also because I don't currently have my passport (I had to give it to my travel agent so I could get my Chinese visa). But the Peace Corps office has been pretty good about helping me out and extending deadlines and stuff to make sure it can all get done. Right now, unless my passport gets held up and doesn't arrive in the mail early next week, it should be okay. I'm just going to keep doing whatever I can to make things happen! And if something COMPLETELY unavoidable happens (and I do mean COMPLETELY unavoidable... I'll even skip my trip to China if necessary to make Peace Corps happen), then I'll just try as hard as I can to get a second invitation as an "extraordinary" circumstance. Of course, I've started to get my heart set on Tanzania, but any Peace Corps is better than no Peace Corps.

When I woke up this morning, my free Peace Corps online subscription to Rosetta Stone: Swahili was there!! I have to complete 40 hours before staging. I've already done 37 minutes this morning before work (plus 15 minutes on the phone with customer support first since it said I needed a plug-in that wouldn't install). Watch out Swahili, Mel's learning ya!

I'm also trying to convince all my friends to visit me in Africa! One friend is trying to make it happen already, but I want tons of visits! Barring that, let me know when/where we can meet while I'm in America from August 21-September 21. I miss you!

2 comments:

Panderbear said...

So exciting! My trip to Tanzania was one of my absolute favorites...it is so beautiful there in so many different ways. The amazing animals, the breathtaking desert that looks like it goes on forever, all the wildlife you can see SCUBA diving in Zanzibar. You are going to have so much fun!

Jane said...

Mabuhay!
Good Day. Komusta?(How are you?) Hope you are doing fine. I am Jane, a postcard enthusiast and currently blogging at:

http://enajpostcards.blogspot.com

I've been reading your blog lately.

I am currently working on a project called "Postcard Project 100"The goal is to received stamped and written postcards sent from the country itself. I am planning on presenting it to my history class, and I need your cooperation to make this project possible.
Only one beautiful postcard to have this project grow. Hope you will be able to participate.

Great Hugs and Thank you,
Jane