Friday, July 24, 2009

Whoops! (or: B-I-T-C-H)

So, anyone who has been reading this blog knows the story now: I meant to stay in Korea for a year, but because of Peace Corps difficulties and technicalities, I am leaving after only 7 and a half months.

What I haven't mentioned is that during this whole time, I've been in the process of convincing a very good friend of mine to move to Korea. (I won't say her name, just in case things change and she doesn't want her employers to know about this. Let's call her K.)

Since, uh, well, since almost a year ago, when I visited her in DC while I was living in Philly, I've been trying to convince her to move abroad, because she even admitted it's what she probably wants and just wasn't giving into. In my defense, I wasn't devoting all my energies to convincing her to come to Korea, in particular. I mean, once K expressed an interest, whenever I was joking around, I would tell her "Come to Korea!" But really I was pushing a foreign country, any foreign country, and when she was focusing on Greece, or the Czech Republic, I didn't try to steer her away from those and towards Korea; I supported her going anywhere abroad.

But yeah. Ultimately, K settled on Korea, and I'm not just flattering myself that the fact that I lived here was a large factor in that decision; she admitted it readily. Especially considering that she also requested my particular province.

Fast forward to, well, now. When it turns out that if I want to do Peace Corps, it'll be in September, and when K finally gets her job acceptance to EPIK-- in Gangwon-do (my province).

The long and short of it?

She's decided she's probably taking it.

I'm leaving Korea August 21st.
She's coming to Korea around August 17th.

Yeah.

As my (wonderful and wonderfully supportive) supervisor, Sarah, put it: "Wow, you're a bitch."

Whoops!

As we've comforted ourselves: It makes a good story! After all that, K's arriving in Korea the very week I'm leaving.

But still. If she doesn't like Korea, I am going to feel soooooo guilty... (And I'm, technically, Jewish. I know guilt!)

No comments: